Tuesday, January 8, 2013

TCK resolutions

Welcome back and Happy New Year to all my readers.

To kick-start 2013 I decided to post 7 questions rather than a bunch of resolutions. The questions do not have answers attached because they are open to any interpretation or reply. There is no right or wrong answer in this game. Just be yourself ... that is what really counts!

What do Yoko Ono, Carlos Fuente and Barack Obama all have in common? A shared cultural identity based on similar upbringings: they are Third Culture Kids.

Third Culture Kids spend their developmental years in a fusion of multiple cultures, typically growing up in countries different from their parents’ "passport country". Children growing up in this fusion of cultures exhibit elements of their parents’ cultural background as well as facets of their immediate cultural surroundings, thereby creating their own "third culture".

Here a seven things every TCK should know:

1. How do I learn to recognize and develop fully the gifts I received from this TCK experience?
2. How can I make and maintain friendships with non-TCKs and TCKs?
3. How do I sort out who I am and where I belong when I can’t get past the feeling of belonging “everywhere and nowhere?”
4. How do I deal with the grief I still feel from long ago losses of country and friends?
5. How do I stop restlessness, and the cycles of separation and loss I continue to create for myself because I can’t seem to stay in one place more than 2-3 years?
6. How can I not forget and lose my past while moving towards the future?
7. How do I deal with the loneliness I sometimes feel, even when others are around?



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...