Tuesday, January 15, 2013

20 ways to answer the infamous "Where do you come from?" question

I have been asked sooooo many times where I come from? My accent(s!) can't be pinned to one country, I have more than one mother tongue and in my mind I am a Latina although I only have Nordic blood running through my veins.

Therefore - with a pinch of sense of humour - here are some answers to the infamous question: " Where are you from?"

- It's complicated
- Somewhere out there
- Do you want the long version or the short version?
- Pick a country—any country!
- Are you asking where I was born, where I grew up, where my parents are from, or what kind of passport I have?
- When I find out I’ll let you know
- Please don’t ask
- Um, it’s kind of hard to explain…
- Do you have enough time for this?
- Technically, I’m from…but my parents are from…but I grew up…and I do/don’t speak…but I like living…but technically I’m from…
- Are you sure you want to know?
- That’s a tough question.
- You know, I wish I knew
- Um, it depends
- I don’t know
- Well, all over the world really. Where are you from?
- Outer space.
- Why do you want to know? (shifty eyes)
- Here.
- My heart is Italian



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very funny answers. Meanwhile my accent is unmistakable!
Manu

Expat with Kids said...

... as is your wonderful laugh!

Globatris said...

"Earth" works too :)

Regards from TCK mom , repatriated from Switzerland latest
http://globatris.se/expat-blog/

Expat with Kids said...

I like "Earth". Goes straight to the heart! ;)

Unknown said...

Hahaa I often say I am French without the paperwork to prove it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...