Monday, January 17, 2011

Tiramisu recipe

This recipe was given to me years ago by a Spanish friend who runs her own catering business and is the most creative cook of all my friends. Now you'll be thinking "...but Tiramisu is an Italian dessert?"
I have served this dessert at many dinner parties for my hubby's Italian friends and I can assure you that this Tiramisu has put the Italian conviction of  "nobody cooks better than mia mamma" to the test every time....and passed it with flying colours!
This recipe is fast and easy to prepare. In my opinion the secret is using proper coffee. I brew ground espresso beans in my traditional Italian "caffetiera" and soak the biscuits in it for 2 seconds.
Ingredients:
1 packet of sponge finger biscuits (Savoiardi)
4 eggs
500gr Mascarpone cheese
5 table spoons of sugar
real espresso coffee
cacao powder to decorate
Optional: 2 tablespoons of Marsala (fortified sweet Italian wine)

Preparation:
Whisk the egg yolks together with sugar until they increase in volume. Add Marsala wine if you wish.
Add mascarpone cheese and mix well.
In a different bowl whisk egg whites until they are stiff and then slowly incorporate with mascarpone mixture.
In a rectangular baking dish line up the biscuits after you've dipped them in espresso coffee for 2 seconds.
Cover first layer of biscuits with mascarpone mixture. Then lay another layer of coffee-soaked biscuits on top and repeat mascarpone cream layer.
Add the finishing touch by sieving cacao powder over dish.
Refridgerate until served.

Buon appetito!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trust me it is really delicious!!!!!

Expat with Kids said...

Mil gracias, Veronica!!!!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...